Permits & Applications


Effective immediately, all electronic permit communications and applications are to be sent to the GTCRC permitting department at This joint email will allow access to each permitting department member for more efficient permitting services.

All Transporting Goods Permits will be processed by Oxcart, a third-party vendor.  Please visit their website at to sign up for an account.  

Permit Requirements

In accordance with Act 200 of the Michigan Public Acts of 1969, any activity or use of county road right-of-way other than for highway travel purposes and maintaining natural vegetation requires a right-of-way permit from the Road Commission. A completed right-of-way permit may be required before the township will issue a land use permit. Please allow 7 - 10 workdays for processing the permit.

The contractor performing the work must have a valid certificate of insurance on file with the Road Commission before a permit will be issued. You must have your signed permit by the Road Commission before performing any type of work in the road right-of-way.

Liability Insurance Requirements

All permits require liability insurance. Please review the Liability Insurance (PDF) requirements to determine how it pertains to your permit.


Each type of permit has associated fees that MUST be paid at the time of application.  If payment is not received, the permit will not be processed. View the Fee Schedule (PDF) for more information.


  1. Complete the application that pertains to the type of permit you are looking for.
  2. Make a payment.
  3. Submit application by email, fax (231-929-1836), or mail to:
    1881 LaFranier Road
    Traverse City, MI 49696

Types of Permits