Safety Routes to School
Representatives of the Grand Traverse County Road Commission have been involved with the Safe Routes to School Program for a number of years.
Safety is important to everyone at the Road Commission. We enjoy teaching young children about safety, whether it's waiting for the bus or playing after school, about what to do when you approach a snow plow performing winter maintenance and creating a cloud of snow.
Our employees can come on site to your school or meeting with a full-dress snowplow to give a first-hand experience of the massiveness of the equipment. Topics include:
Tour Our Office
- Importance of staying away from the snowplows throwing snow
- Not playing on or tunneling in the snow banks along the road
- Pedestrian safety
- Traffic signal operation
- Safely crossing roads
- What to do when a snow plow is in your lane
Coming to our office will afford attendees a chance to see our:
- Engineering office
- Football stadium-size garage with trucks
- Huge sand piles and salt barn
- Mechanic shop
Please call ahead to make an appointment.